Wednesday, December 20, 2017

R.C. Sproul: A Tribute to the Greatest Theologian of Our Time

This is the only personal item I have from R.C. Sproul: an autographed cap from the Legacy Club where he and Hank Hanegraaff played golf. I'm not a golfer myself, but I will treasure it forever!

I realize there’s no need to add my meager voice to the overwhelming tributes to Dr. Sproul by so many friends, pastors, and theologians, but as I pondered his passing last Thursday, an overflow of gratitude welled up that I had to put into words.

One of my most profound memories of Dr. Sproul was when he came to the studios of the Christian Research Institute in September of 2007. He was scheduled to do two broadcasts and I was very excited. I remember him coming through the front door with Vesta as I sat at my desk in the windowed control room. I watched as Hank came down and greeted them and led them down the hall to his office. About an hour later they came into the studio and I watched him through the glass as we tested his microphone before we went on air. In God’s providence, however, I never got the chance to shake his hand and officially meet him because I had to leave work early that night.

Back then I had no idea the incredible impact R.C. would have on my life. Of course I had heard of him and Ligonier Ministries, but in the ensuing years I got to “know” him through his books and teaching, just as countless others had done before me. Although I didn’t experience the blessing of knowing him personally, I grew to love this man like a second father: his gravelly voice, his beaming smile, his captivating teaching, his clear writing style, and his passion for the things of God. He was infectious. Even my kids enjoy listening to him. I longed to just sit at his feet and learn.

I remember especially in the summer of 2010, when I was wrestling with the doctrines of grace and trying to understand the relationship between human responsibility and the sovereignty of God. Where did I go? I turned to R.C. for the answers. I devoured his books and lectures, and I also read the works of theologians he recommended like Luther, Calvin, and Edwards. It took several years to unlearn what I had been taught most of my life. It was a radical transformation from Pentecostal to Presbyterian, but R.C. helped me understand that I had to believe what Scripture actually taught, not what I wanted it to teach. Through Dr. Sproul’s ministry I learned that God was absolutely sovereign over ever particle of dust in the universe; there were no maverick molecules. I learned that God had chosen me for salvation before the foundation of the world. And I learned that God was unimaginably holy, so His mercy in saving a wretch like me was nothing short of a divine miracle.

Without a doubt, R.C. Sproul is my favorite teacher, and in my humble opinion, he was the greatest theologian of our time. He was an absolutely brilliant man with an encyclopedic knowledge of the Scriptures and church history, but what made R.C. so effective was his unique ability to take complex theological doctrines and philosophical concepts, and make them understandable to guys like me. He was one of those rare men that the Lord gifted with the capacity to mine the deep treasures of Scripture and bring them to the surface in a way that everyone in the body of Christ could access. I can’t even begin to count the ways R.C. has shaped my understanding of theology. When I was a child all I ever wanted was to be a professional musician when I grew up. Now that I’ve grown up, I want to be a theologian, like R.C. My life has been forever changed by his ministry.

Like a modern-day Luther, the legacy he has left us will endure for generations. R.C. spent his life teaching, preaching, and defending the gospel of Jesus Christ. In a word, he lived for the glory of God. He finished his course, he kept the faith. Let his life be a testimony to us all, that time is precious; therefore, we must live every moment with eternity in view. While we mourn our loss, we know that R.C. will never mourn again, for he now beholds, face to face, the glorious refulgence of the thrice holy God.

And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.” Rev. 21:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment